Skip to main content

Blog Post #11

This week’s article, Radically Healing Communities, was a very good read.  The need for relational pedagogy resonated with me the most.  The article shed light on several teacher classrooms to show the impact and importance of relational pedagogy.  For instance, the students trusted Ms. Woods because she had established a relationship with them outside the school.  As a result of their relationship, the students trusted and respected Ms. Woods. Ms. Jennings too connected with the students by allowing them to share details about their life through her class assignments.  I really loved the idea of the students creating a real mask that represented something in their life. This provided a great opportunity for the students to share something personal about themselves, which helps with creating trust and regard of others.  Whereas, the young English teacher failed to incorporate relational pedagogy into his classroom resulting in the students being inattentive and disrespectful.

To me, this article was another reminder about the benefits of creating a classroom environment in which students feel personally connected.  We as teachers could really transform our classrooms in a positive way by integrating our students cultural and background experiences. I think this could be done in many ways such as through morning circle, class projects, student poems and writings, just to name a few.  Activities such as these will help our students feel even more engaged, safe, welcomed and respected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on this week’s reading, Ms. Wild in Yo Miss! reminded me of myself in regards to being extremely mentally exhausted thinking about life while at the same time bringing what happened at work home with me.  I have been teaching for about 14 years and my class this year has been one of the most challenging classes in regards to defiant behavior, lack of attention and chronic absenteeism which is a recipe for teacher burnout.  Like Ms. Wild, often times I find myself at home reflecting on my challenging day, asking myself what can I do differently with child X, how can I help these students be more engaged while questioning my reason for choosing education in the first place in addition to thinking about everyday life issues such as family, finances and etc...  After my mental digressions, in the end I’m reminded about how blessed I am and all the positive differences I’m continuing to make in the classroom and in my personal life and that’s what drives me.  This article was j

Blog Post #8

I really liked how Christina Torres stated that we need to teach  with intersectionality in mind.   Teaching in this manner is extremely important because it forces teachers to consider the whole child and not just what’s on the outside.  It’s important that we recognize our students’ race, gender, homelife and experiences when making assumptions about their character, abilities and academic performance.  For instance, Teaching at the Intersections mentioned a ninth-grader named Nicole that school’s performance was unfortunately hindered by her circumstance. Nicole was not only responsible for herself but her siblings as well.  Nicole’s situation is the reason why we as educators need to continue to look at our students as individuals because each one is different in their own way in regards to their upbringing and life experiences. The #say her name movement resonated with me for several reasons because I am a woman, a woman of color and am raising two daughters that one day

Blog Post #2

After reading, Race: Some Teachable and Uncomfortable Moments by Heidi Tolentino, here are my thoughts: I understood Carlen’s reaction by stating, “You can never know what’s it’s like. You will never understand.”  However, I appreciate the fact that Jess was trying to understand and that should be acknowledged, too.  The teacher was trying to shed light on racism because those difficult conversations need to take place in our classrooms.  Our classrooms should be a safe haven for ALL of our learners.  One of the problems with racism is that we don’t have those open discussions about it and I believe that nothing will ever change if we don’t engage in those difficult conversations.  Carlen’s reaction made me think of this video that I view as powerful and eye opening.  With all the racial events that have occurred in the world, my husband I had a similar talk with our daughters.  Procter & Gamble made this video which shows “the talk” that African-American parents need to h