Skip to main content

Blog Post #3

After reading Why Teaching Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, Pt. 1, I understand why the author believes that the most criticism against the BLM movement stems from a failure to acknowledge the conditions that created resistance in the first place.  I think that for change to happen, we need to be honest as to why the movement was first created.  The BLM movement began after the death of Trayvon Martin in response to brutality on unarmed blacks.  As the movement grew, people became increasingly upset and frustrated because of the countless deaths of unarmed blacks at the hands of the police or people in authority.  I feel as though one of the biggest concerns of the movement consisted with zero accountability, as in most of these recent cases, as police were were not charged or sent to trial.  
There was a time when I remember turning on the news and seeing countless other police shootings against unarmed Blacks and thinking to myself, What is going on and why is this continuing to happen?  Why are all these black unarmed men, children and women being shot or killed while in police custody?  Why are we seen as a threat?  Also, why isn’t anyone being held accountable for these deaths?  As a result of all these unanswered questions, I understand the reasons and need for the BLM movement.  The BLM movement does not mean that ALL lives don’t matter because they do.  To me it’s just saying we need to increase awareness of our perspective and understand that, right now in this world, black lives should matter too! This video link details why the BLM movement is important more now than ever.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_VaNhI4CLo
I also believe that the name of the BLM movement turns a lot of people away because it’s being viewed as one-sided or racist.  I wish that there would be more positive portrayals and actions of the BLM movement on the news.  This way, we could all learn that the BLM movement represents the oppression of several issues such as transgender community and women, not just black men.  As stated, in the article Why Teaching Black Lives Matter, it’s mission is invested in liberation for all.  Teaching the BLM movement to our students, whether it’s in the classroom or at a community center, will help bring awareness to the good deeds of the movement.    

With all that being said, I don’t support people portraying to stand and represent the BLM movement who cause harm to police.  These officers and community members put their lives on the line everyday to keep citizens, communities and businesses safe.

Comments

  1. Thanks for your post Porsche and for sharing that video--so direct, so wrenching. I see your point that the name "Black Lives Matter" fails to encapsulate the totality of the movement--but also, it is such a simple and disarming message. And when (white) people dispute this message, it forces them to articulate a worldview and belief system that refuses value to Black Lives. What other ways do you think BLM could be messaged?

    My best
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on this week’s reading, Ms. Wild in Yo Miss! reminded me of myself in regards to being extremely mentally exhausted thinking about life while at the same time bringing what happened at work home with me.  I have been teaching for about 14 years and my class this year has been one of the most challenging classes in regards to defiant behavior, lack of attention and chronic absenteeism which is a recipe for teacher burnout.  Like Ms. Wild, often times I find myself at home reflecting on my challenging day, asking myself what can I do differently with child X, how can I help these students be more engaged while questioning my reason for choosing education in the first place in addition to thinking about everyday life issues such as family, finances and etc...  After my mental digressions, in the end I’m reminded about how blessed I am and all the positive differences I’m continuing to make in the classroom and in my personal life and that’s what drives me.  This article was j

Blog Post #8

I really liked how Christina Torres stated that we need to teach  with intersectionality in mind.   Teaching in this manner is extremely important because it forces teachers to consider the whole child and not just what’s on the outside.  It’s important that we recognize our students’ race, gender, homelife and experiences when making assumptions about their character, abilities and academic performance.  For instance, Teaching at the Intersections mentioned a ninth-grader named Nicole that school’s performance was unfortunately hindered by her circumstance. Nicole was not only responsible for herself but her siblings as well.  Nicole’s situation is the reason why we as educators need to continue to look at our students as individuals because each one is different in their own way in regards to their upbringing and life experiences. The #say her name movement resonated with me for several reasons because I am a woman, a woman of color and am raising two daughters that one day

Blog Post #2

After reading, Race: Some Teachable and Uncomfortable Moments by Heidi Tolentino, here are my thoughts: I understood Carlen’s reaction by stating, “You can never know what’s it’s like. You will never understand.”  However, I appreciate the fact that Jess was trying to understand and that should be acknowledged, too.  The teacher was trying to shed light on racism because those difficult conversations need to take place in our classrooms.  Our classrooms should be a safe haven for ALL of our learners.  One of the problems with racism is that we don’t have those open discussions about it and I believe that nothing will ever change if we don’t engage in those difficult conversations.  Carlen’s reaction made me think of this video that I view as powerful and eye opening.  With all the racial events that have occurred in the world, my husband I had a similar talk with our daughters.  Procter & Gamble made this video which shows “the talk” that African-American parents need to h